It’s all over the news of late: Cyber Crime. And this type of crime is reportedly costing consumers, small businesses and global giants (think Talk Talk) hundreds of billions of pounds.
Not to mention what that kind of negative publicity does to a brand’s reputation.
Cyber Crime is not something new. But it is becoming increasingly sophisticated, more lucrative for the criminals and therefore, there are more reported attacks then ever before. To put it bluntly: it’s rife.
While the police and the authorities are doing their utmost to help stop it, there will always be hackers, whether spotty teenagers or something more sinister, who will commit this type of crime - because they can.
So what can we do, as small businesses, to help protect ourselves a little better?
- Educate yourself and all staff to the dangers of cyber crime.
- Never open emails or attachments from unknown senders.
- Never give out personal or company information to a non-trusted account.
- Never disclose account or business details over the internet without 100% security
- Be careful when Christmas Shopping online
- Check your business accounts regularly, if you notice any atypical transactions, contact your bank immediately
For more information on how to help protect your business from cyber crime visit: http://www.computerweekly.com/feature/Cyber-crime-what-every-business-needs-to-know